Monday, January 11, 2010

stealing blog posts from the patriarchy

I had a conversation with my friend John last week, in which he complimented a woman by saying she had "ovaries" instead of "balls" as a way of calling her brave. He talks about it better than I can here. The long and short of it is that I don't think it does womankind any favors to accentuate the differences betwen the sexes when it comes to things that should be gender-neutral, like bravery. I prefer to be called an actor and comedian, rather than an actress and comedienne. No one should be called a "comedienne" except for Lucille Ball. I don't know why, exactly, but the word seems to fit her. And Phyllis Diller. But that's it. Anyway, I thought you guys (See? Is it bad that I called what I presume is a predominantly female readership "guys"? Language is weird.) might have something to say on the topic, so I bring it to you.

So, what say you, WICFers? Which do you have? Ovaries? Balls? Huevos rancheros? Are you a comedienne, a comedian, or a "person of comedy"? Help me figure out if I'm right about this. By which I mean "I know I'm right, please agree with me."

~RvdS

No comments:

Post a Comment