Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Staying Fat For Sarah Byrnes

I did say I was going to do a book review, didn't I? I got a little sidetracked, what with watching Buffy and all, but I'm a lady of my word.

Staying Fat For Sarah Burns is a novel by Chris Crutcher "For all those who finally stand up for themselves". As per usual, Chris Crutcher not only writes a story that grips you but also incorporates and debates issues like abortion and forgiveness through his characters.
The story was mainly about a girl named Sarah Byrnes who suddenly goes mute and catatonic one day while sitting in class, apparently for no reason. 
Her best friend Eric and his friend Ellerby deal with the mystery of Sarah Byrnes, but also have to get on with life. Eric and Ellerby train hard on the school swin team, Eric's mom gets a new boyfriend who is more than he seems, Eric gets a girlfriend with issues of her own, and both of the boys have to deal with a religious almost-bully called Mark Brittain.
When Sarah Byrnes's situation becomes more grave, Eric must figure out who Sarah Byrnes really is. What's real, and what are just lies. Eric realizes that Sarah Byrnes didn't really trust him at all,  and that her life was much worse than he knew.

It ends on a happy note, of which i'm glad. I really got attached to characters. It was a small book, but it was good and I'd recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment